Igreja de Santa Maria da Devesa
This is the parish church. Its construction began in the beginning of 1789, in a place where once was a little shrine, founded in 1311 by Lourenço Pires and his wife. The church was finished around 1873. It is a very large temple, maybe the biggest in Alto Alentejo.
The church of Santa Maria da Devesa stays at the west corner of Praça D. Pedro V. The building is facing south, it has a staircase and a forecourt with an iron fence and granite pilasters at south surrounding the monument.
This church is composed by a group of seven areas: nave, chapel, transept, two bell towers and two sacristies.
The nave is rectangular and divided in four areas, separated by painted pilasters. The ceiling is a barrel vault, also divided by transverse arches. In the first area by the main entrance, is the choir, $nbsp;the ceiling of the sub-chorus is a groin vault.
The chapel is rectangular, the ceiling is a barrel vault on the top of cornice extending the nave and the transept. In the east and west walls there are doors to the sacristies. In the north wall raises the altar. There is a niche in the centre of the altar holding an image of Jesus, the Crucified, under a round arch. The image stays between four painted pilasters (two at each side) with rectangular bases, the pilasters have decorated capitals, on the top of these a cornice is the base of a round pediment painted and decorated in Baroque style. The ceiling is a decorated barrel vault.
The main facade faces south framed between two bell towers. Each tower has four large windows with round arches and bells, divided by pilasters made of rectangular blocks of granite.
In the centre of the facade is the portal, the lintel is in granite decorated in Baroque style, a depressed arch, crowned with an angel 's head with open wings, upon a little cornice. At each side of the portal are two granite columns with fluted shafts as long as the lintel, where the columns end with Corinthian capitals. Above the cornice is a door with an iron balustrade. The ensemble is crowned by a kind of coat of arms with Baroque decoration.
Inside the church is housed the museum of religious art Cónego Albano Vaz Pinto.